|Who Was La Salle?
Our school was named after René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, who was born on November 22, 1643 in Rouen, France. He was educated by the Jesuits, and taught for several years before giving up the ecclesiastical life in 1667. Shortly thereafter, he came to Canada, and was given a land grant at La Chine (later Lachine).
Fur-trading and exploring expeditions took him to Lake Erie and the Mississippi River in 1669 and 1671. In 1673, he directed the construction of Fort Frontenac, at the mouth of the Cataraqui River at Lake Ontario. In 1674, he was granted nobility and was given control of the fort and the land around it as the Seigneury of Frontenac.
In 1678, he continued his exploration of the Mississippi River, discovering its mouth at the Gulf of Mexico in 1682. He retraced his route up-river to Canada and then returned to France. A few years later, he launched an expedition, by sailing ship, to locate the mouth of the Mississippi from the sea, and to establish a colony there. Repeated attempts to find the delta from the sea failed. On March 19, 1687, La Salle was leading his party overland when some of his crew mutinied and murdered him. Our school is named after this courageous and adventurous explorer.
La Salle Secondary School has been a partner with the Barriefield Historical Society, Researching the early settlers and significant events of our local history. La Salle history students have been involved in the markings along park pathways for local residents and visitors to enjoy.